Thread: Domain name for hosting?

Domain name for hosting?

Hey all...

I'm new around these parts and as my screen name suggests..... --------> CLUELESS <---------

I'm trying to get hosting for my Vbulletin software that I got yesterday but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

On the page where it asks me to register my domain name.

If I have a website already that I am adding a forum to, that for example is called XYZ.com am I supposed to use forum.XYZ.com for my domain name at the web host?

I have no idea.....I would however love to have the software installed by the end of the day so if someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

It sounds as if you already have a hosting account for your current Web site and you are now trying to set up an account with a new host. If this is the case, then yes, use your current domain name to set up the new hosting account. You will then need to direct the DNS pointers to the new nameservers, supplied by the new host.

When you install the forum, you can install it in a forum directory - xyz.com/forum

Hi Mike....

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't understand a word of what you said. When I say I'm clueless I mean I am really bad.

I have a domain already, but I want to add a forum. The host I use for my website says I should basically make my forum, get my own domain name and host for that forum and then PLUG it into the system I am using.

I am not even jumping the gun because I'm just trying to set up the config.php file right now.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

TC, NO don't get a whole new domain for your forum! If your forum is a branch of your existing website, all you have to do is open your ftp software, go to where your website is located, create a folder named forum, and upload your forum files into that folder.

As for the config.php. all you need to do with that is type in your database name, and your database username and password. Nothing more is needed.

I perform forum installations for a fee if you find that you can't do it, but I'm sure you can!

Hi peggy! Yikes where were you yesterday when I needed you....LOL Thank goodness I can get a refund.

Would you mind telling me how much your services are?

If it's the same or less than what I paid for the "new" domain then I'd gladly pay you and have you set it up for me. I'm brain dead when it comes to this kind of stuff.

P.S. What's FTP software? Is it possible for me to PM you so I can explain my situation?

better yet, email me at peggy@themesbydesign.net

Here's a link to my services - Forum installation & upgrades

Thumbs up How is your forum going now?

Hey Camille,

How is your forum going so far? I hope it is all running smooth!

Philip Hines
    HostWW.Net

Quote Originally Posted by hostwwphilip View Post
    Hey Camille,

How is your forum going so far? I hope it is all running smooth!

Philip Hines
    HostWW.Net
    It's going great Phil!

Thanks to you and Peggy for leading me to you. Your service is the bomb...I still can't get over it

A million thanks!

New to vBFAQ
    thing to see before you choose a domain name
    --Your Domain Name Should Be Your Website Name
    -- Possible Spelling
    -- Shorter is Better
    -- Easy to Type
    -- Easily Understood
    -- Unique
    --Commercial Appeal
    If its for single domain registration i would get it from xnynz ,who provide domain for reasonable cost and if it would be for bulk domain registration i would suggest goresellers..

New to vBFAQ
    Choosing the domain for your website is definitely going to depend on your goal for the web site. I mean, if you want something more commercial and would target a several areas and not just one country, going with .com would be more sensible. Though say for example your products are geared toward clients in the US or the UK, you can try domains like .uk or .us so that you can rank higher in local search engines governing the two.