Thread: Running vB3.8.5 - server issues with switch to PHP 5.3 on server

Intermediate vBulletin User

Running vB3.8.5 - server issues with switch to PHP 5.3 on server

Hi All

It's been a while since I posted here - a small measure of how very much I learned from my early days as a member. Haven't needed any help for a long time.

I have two fully owned vB licences plus vBBlog. I kept upgrading until 3.8.5 but was not happy with being asked to fork out quite a bit of money to upgrade to vB4. All has been well in running with 3.8.5 until my host recently decided (without letting me know) to upgrade to PHP5.3. I got warning messages appearing on the Blog homepage and the site slowed down to being virtually unusable.

My host first suggested the issues were related to storing images on the database. I moved 'em to a file instead. No change. I tried doing rectification and diagnostics. No improvement. Eventually, I spotted the switch to PHP 5.3 and asked my host if this might be the source of the problems. It was like pulling teeth but the host eventually admitted that was the cause and suggested I upgrade to vB4.

Now, I don't know how others feel about being forced to fork out twice but I don't wanna go down that route. I am perfectly happy running vB3.8.5.

Looks like I may have to find a host running PHP5.2 for some time into the future. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could possibly fix the issues while staying with present host. Or, can anyone suggest a suitable host I might switch to?

Thanks in anticipation.

SillyBoy

Well, you choices are simple. Find a host with an older php or upgraded to 4.0. It is what it is. If you get a VPS it should be able to run whatever php you want.

Intermediate vBulletin User

Thumbs up

Thanks Joey. My present host helped out by moving my account back onto a server running PHP4 but said this was temporary as all servers would be running PHP5 within a few weeks. That fixed the problem - temporarily.

I've bitten the bullet and bought the new vB4 suite. Having done that, I note there are very few mods suitable for this new version, so perhaps not really a good move. I'm also rather afraid of switching over, so I am chewing the fat endlessly before doing so. Guess I'm just so old now that change don't come easy.

Thanks for the advice.

SillyBoy